br Disclosure br The authors have
The authors have stated that they have no conflicts of interest.
2. Moyer VA, U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Screening for prostate cancer: U. S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. Ann Intern Med 2012; 157:120-34.
3. Ekwueme DU, Stroud LA, Chen Y. Cost analysis of screening for, diagnosing, and staging prostate cancer based on a systematic review of published studies. Prev Chronic Dis 2007; 4:A100.
4. Aubry W, Lieberthal R, Willis A, Bagley G, Willis SM III, Layton A. Budget impact model: epigenetic assay can help avoid unnecessary repeated prostate bi-opsies and reduce healthcare spending. Am Health Drug Benefits 2013; 6:15-24.
5. Van Neste L, Herman JG, Otto G, Bigley JW, Epstein JI, Van Criekinge W. The epigenetic promise for prostate cancer diagnosis. Prostate 2012; 72:1248-61. 6. Simon HB. What’s the downside to a biopsy? Prostate Knowledge, Harvard Medical School publications, Available at: https://www.harvardprostateknowledge. org/whats-the-downside-to-a-biopsy. Accessed: May 23, 2018.
7. Hanahan D, Weinberg RA. Hallmarks of cancer: the next generation. Cell 2011;
Urinary VOCs for Prostate Cancer Diagnosis
8. Silva CL, Passos M, Câmara JS. Solid phase microextraction, mass spec-trometry and metabolomic approaches for detection of potential urinary cancer biomarkers—a powerful strategy for breast cancer diagnosis. Talanta 2012; 89:360-8.
13. Matsumura K, Opiekun M, Oka H, et al. Urinary volatile compounds as bio-markers for lung cancer: a proof of principle study using odor signatures in mouse models of lung cancer. PLoS One 2010; 5:e8819.
14. Amann A, de Lacy Costello B, Miekisch W, et al. The human volatilome: volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in exhaled breath, skin emanations, urine, 54397-85-2 and saliva. J Breath Res 2014; 8:034001.
15. Amann A, Smith D. Volatile Biomarkers: Non-invasive Diagnosis in Physiology and
20. Kleinbaum DG, Klein M. Logistic Regression, A Self-learning Text. 3rd Edition. Berlin: Springer; 2010.
22. López-Ratón M, Rodríguez-Álvarez MX, Cadarso-Suárez C, Gude-Sampedro F. OptimalCutpoints: an R package for selecting optimal cutpoints in diagnostic tests. J Stat Softw 2014; 61:1-36.
23. The R Development Core Team. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical
Computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing; 2017.
24. Chistiakov DA, Myasoedova VA, Grechko AV, Melnichenko AA, Orekhov AN. New biomarkers for diagnosis and prognosis of localized prostate cancer. Semin Cancer Biol 2018; 52:9-16.
25. Parekh DJ, Punnen S, Sjoberg DD, et al. A multi-institutional prospective trial in the USA confirms that the 4Kscore accurately identifies men with high-grade prostate cancer. Eur Urol 2015; 68:464-70.
26. Leyten GH, Hessels D, Jannink SA, et al. Prospective multicentre evaluation of PCA3 and TMPRSS2-ERG gene fusions as diagnostic and prognostic urinary biomarkers for prostate cancer. Eur Urol 2014; 65:534-42.
29. Wojno KJ, Costa FJ, Cornell RJ, et al. Reduced rate of repeated prostate biopsies observed in ConfirmMDx clinical utility field study. Am Health Drug Benefits 2014; 7:129-34.
30. Klein EA, Chait A, Hafron JM, et al. The single-parameter, structure-based IsoPSA assay demonstrates improved diagnostic accuracy for detection of any prostate cancer and high-grade prostate cancer compared to a concentration-based assay of total prostate-specific antigen: a preliminary report. Eur Urol 2017; 72:942-9.
31. Hessels D, Smit FP, Verhaegh GW, Witjes JA, Cornel EB, Schalken JA. Detection of TMPRSS2-ERG fusion transcripts and prostate cancer antigen 3 in urinary sediments may improve diagnosis of prostate cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2007; 13:5103-8.
33. Stewart GD, Van Neste L, Delvenne P, et al. Clinical utility of an epigenetic assay to detect occult prostate cancer in histopathologically negative biopsies: results of the MATLOC study. J Urol 2013; 189:1110-6.
37. Swinnen JV, Brusselmans K, Verhoeven G. Increased lipogenesis in cancer cells: new players, novel targets. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 2006; 9:358-65. 38. Igal RA. Stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1: a novel key player in the mechanisms of cell proliferation, programmed cell death and transformation to cancer. Carcinogenesis 2010; 31:1509-15.
39. Crowe FL, Allen NE, Appleby PN, et al. Fatty acid composition of plasma phospholipids and risk of prostate cancer in a case-control analysis nested within the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition. Am J Clin Nutr 2008; 88:1353-63.
42. Nadler MJ, Harrison ML, Ashendel CL, Cassady JM, Geahlen RL. Treatment of T cells with 2-hydroxymyristic acid inhibits the myristoylation and alters the stability of p56lck. Biochemistry 1993; 32:9250-5.
43. Noguchi M, Kobayashi K, Suetsugu N, et al. Induction of cellular and humoral immune responses to tumor cells and peptides in HLA-A24 positive hormone-refractory prostate cancer patients by peptide vaccination. Prostate 2003; 57:80-92.